Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Obsessions

I get in these moods every once in a while in which I either love or loathe everything. I think that's alright. I think that's grand.
Right now I'm (re)obsessed with a lot of things. I say "obsessed" because it's true. I either watch, listen to, or read about all of these things because I can't seem to get over the idea of how great they are.

Oh look, a list!

1) Anthony Bourdain. There's really no explaining this. He's old, bitter, cynical, and crass. Well, I guess that is the explaination. An ex-chef who now travels the world experiencing and documenting different cultures and people through the food they prepare and share. It's a foodie show, but it really isn't about food at all. love.

2) "Igby Goes Down"- see previous post

3) "Heart of Darkness" Joseph Conrad just gets it. I've been re-reading a book of his short fiction (including Heart of Darkness) and it's just good work. Having somewhat recently seen Apocolypse Now helps too.

4) "Brick". Just watch it. A contemporary take on classic crime drama/nior. Writing to fall in love with.
ex: "You've helped this office before."
"No, I fed you Jerr because I wanted to see him eaten, not to see you fed."

"Why are you telling me this? What's your play?"
"You think nobody sees you. Eating lunch behind the portables. Loving some girl
like she's all there is, anywhere, to you. I've always seen you...Or maybe I liked
Emily. Maybe I see what you're trying to do for her. Trying to help her, and I
don't know anybody who'd do that for me."
"Now you are dangerous."


5) Helena by Nickel Creek. It's for sure number one on my top played list on iTunes. There's just something about a story/song like this. I find myself identifying with both 'characters' as it were.

6) 3OH!3. Needs no explaination.

7) I Never Knew You by Cage. I know, I know it's lame hipster underground rap. I'm aware. But it's dark and creepy and sad and Shia LeBouf didn't suck at directing the music video.

8) The phrase "Suck it". I think I stole this from Joel, but I don't care. It's funny and innapropriate, which is all one can really ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment